“It started about eight years ago” notes author and researcher Shaunti Feldhahn. As a guest on Austin Hill In The Morning on sister station Faith 1190, she said that the foundation for her her recently-released work The Good News About Marriage began as she and a research assistant were looking at data about marriage and divorce.

Shaunti-with-black-vest

Feldhahn

Counter to the commonly held belief that “50% of all marriages end in divorce,” Feldhahn said “the numbers I was seeing didn’t match some of the conventional wisdom that we often hear. There’s a difference between what is really going on with marriage, and what we often believe is going on.”

So what is really going on with marriage? According to the US Census Bureau, right now 71% of people are married to their first spouse. Of the other 29% of the population, a significant portion of that are people whose spouse has died.

Given how common these unduly negative perceptions about marriage have become, Feldhahn suggests that the perceptions themselves are taking a toll on marriages, even within the Christian community.

“When somebody is really discouraged in their marriage, it has become easier for a person to think that, since 50% of all marriages end in divorce, mine probably will end in divorce as well.”

Feldhahn suggest that the truth about marriage statistics can also serve to help people.

“If we know the truth, we can look in the eyes of a couple that is struggling, or a new couple about to be married, and say “you can do this you can get through this, because most couples do.”

You can hear the full discussion with Shaunti Feldhahn:

The good news about marriage

Leave a comment